|Pleasure Island Seafood, Blues & Jazz Festival|
A dynamic dining scene presents a full spectrum of restaurant choices to suit every budget and taste, along with a hardy serving of Southern hospitality. The week of October 22 through 29 more than 40 area restaurants will offer special menus during the bi-annual Encore Restaurant Week, now in its 6th year.
Farmer’s markets, dinner theatre, theme cruises, and food tours are another way to spice up the season. Foodies can sign up for Taste Carolina Gourmet Food Tours of Wilmington restaurants, bars, and the weekly farmer’s market tour/cooking class. In Carolina Beach Tasting History Tours showcase island eateries with a dash of history for group tours. With outstanding restaurants and chefs serving up fresh seafood and other regional specialties in one destination with four unique settings, visitors will discover that Wilmington and its island beaches will satisfy the palate and feed the soul.
Here’s an appetizing roundup of fall food happenings:
• Sept. 27: Wilmington Wine & Beer Walk. Downtown Wilmington. http://wineandbeerwalk.com/
• Sept. 26-27: NCBS BBQ Boot Camp. Castle Hayne. www.ncbbqsociety.com
• Oct. 11-12: 21st Pleasure Island Seafood, Blues & Jazz Festival. Ft. Fisher Air Force Rec Area, Kure Beach. Seafood & blues/jazz. Robert Cray & Delbert McClinton headline. www.pleasureislandnc.org/events-details.php?id=20
• Oct. 11: Taste of Wrightsville Beach. 5pm-8pm. Showcase of 30+ Wrightsville Beach eateries and beer/wine vendors. Marine Max, 130 Short Street, Wrightsville Beach. www.wrightsvillebeachfoundation.org
• Oct. 12: Back Door Kitchen Tour. 9 kitchens + a garden in Downtown Wilmington. This year’s tour is dedicated to the memory of Miss Dolly Pearson. www.rowilmington.org/info.php?pnum=5
• Oct. 17: Airlie Oyster Roast. Airlie Gardens, Wilmington. 910-798-7700; www.airliegardens.org
• Oct. 17: Voracious Craft Beer Tasting. Shell Island Resort, Wrightsville Beach. www.lighthousebeerfestival.com
• Oct. 17: Mellow Mushroom Movie Night in the Park. Movie “Monsters University” & gourmet pizza. Wrightsville Beach Park: www.townofwrightsvillebeach.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=4r55cwghv28%3d&tabid=149
• Oct. 18: Lighthouse Beer Festival. Battleship Park, Wilmington. www.lighthousebeerfestival.com • Oct. 22-29: ENCORE Restaurant Week. 40+ restaurants in Wilmington, Carolina Beach, Wrightsville Beach serve delicious meals at fixed prices. Restaurants/ menus online at www.encorerestaurantweek.com.
• Oct. 24-25: Oktoberfest. Government Center Complex, Wilmington. www.oktoberfestwilmington.com
• Oct. 24: The Vintage Event. Fine wines & cocktails, restaurants, caterers. St. Thomas Preservation Hall, Wilmington. www.historicwilmington.org/vintage-event
• Nov. 1: St. Stan’s Polish Festival. St. Stanislaus Church, Castle Hayne. www.ststanspolishfestival.org
• Nov. 8-9: Festival Latino. Ogden Park, Wilmington. 910-341-0007. www.facebook.com/festivallatino2012 MC900322466
• Ongoing - Farmer’s Markets: Carolina Beach Farmer’s Market, Carolina Beach Lake (Saturdays thru Oct. 4; http://carolinabeachfarmersmarket.com); Riverfront Farmer’s Market Downtown Wilmington (Saturdays thru Nov. 22); www.wilmingtonfarmers.com);Poplar Grove Farmer’s Market, (Weds. thru Nov. 26; www.poplargrove.org) MC900322466
• Ongoing - Culinary Tours: Taste Carolina Gourmet Food Tours (www.tastecarolina.net/wilmington) & Tasting History Tours (www.tastinghistorytours.com). MC900322466Ongoing - Dinner Theatre & Cruises: TheatreNOW (weekly shows), 19 S. 10th St., Wilmington, www.theatrewilmington.com & Henrietta III murder mystery cruise (Tuesdays thru October), Wilmington; www.cfrboats.com & Theme dinner cruises aboard Wilmington Water Tours, Wilmington, www.wilmingtonwatertours.net.
See where the water—and your appetite—take you! For a free official Visitors Guide, call 1-866-266-9690 or visit www.GoWilmingtonAndBeaches.com. For seasonal events and special offers, visit www.GoWilmingtonAndBeaches.com; www.VisitCarolinaBeachNC.com; www.VisitKureBeachNC.com; and www.VisitWrightsvilleBeachNC.com.