It’s exciting to invite local and regional surf anglers to the 3rd annual Pleasure Island Surf Fishing Challenge. Pleasure Island-made up of Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, and Fort Fisher-provides a great island for surf fishing and hosting this area’s premiere land-based fishing tournament. We welcome everyone to join us for this year’s “Challenge.”
The previous two years have seen some great fishing, even with tough weather conditions at times (great job anglers). Each year over 250 anglers have participated, and in the last two years they’ve taken home over $24,000 in cash and prizes.
We continue to focus our efforts on providing a beach friendly, family fun, well-organized fishing event that gives anglers a chance at winning great prizes.
Here are some of the continued highlights of our tournament:
1. Over 40 ways to win an estimated $12,000 in prize money
2. Every participant receives a free raffle ticket for a chance to win a variety of great prizes
3. Complimentary food and drinks at the Awards Ceremony, sponsored and catered by Golden Corral. Golden Corral is returning with a great lunch selection from 12:00-2:00 on Sunday
4. Junior Angler, Lady Angler, and Senior Angler prize categories
5. Complimentary access to the Freeman Park 4wd Access Area at the North End of Carolina Beach for tournament anglers showing their pass and armband
6. Three weigh stations open around the clock
We not only want to provide a tournament that has a great payout with many opportunities to win, but to have an event that gives back to the community. The tournament works toward promoting awareness of mentoring youth in our region, and the tournament serves as a fund raising event for the Big Buddy Program of the Cape Fear Volunteer Center.
We are proud that each year we have worked in partnership with the Cape Fear Volunteer Center to host a Big Buddy/Little Buddy Fishing Event at Fort Fisher State Recreation Area as part of National Make a Difference Day. In 2008, over 50 children were able to enjoy a day at the beach and some fishing. There is nothing quite like seeing an excited child’s smiling face after reeling in his/her first fish ever. This year’s Big Buddy/Little Buddy Event will be held Saturday, October 24.
Preparing for the 2009 has also shown the strong commitment and involvement of sponsors who make this event possible. We encourage everyone to recognize the sponsors listed throughout this tournament booklet and support their businesses. Please keep a copy of the tournament booklet and refer to it during the tournament and the year to come.
We’re asking you to join us for the fishing fun and a chance to win some great prizes. We hope you will make plans, get signed up, be ready to fish, see old friends, meet new ones, and be active in our community.
For complete information including rules, entry forms, times and contest prizes, check out the official Challenge website: